Monday, June 2, 2014

Back From BEA

Junior in Georgetown
Actually, I'm not back yet - I'm enjoying a couple of days in Washington, D.C. where Junior is interning for the summer. Seeing one's little girl all dressed up for work at her first grown-up job must surely be one of the most bittersweet moments ever - but I'm so very proud of her.

Anyway!  BEA was a blast, both when I was at the Expo and when I was out prowling around the city. Wednesday kicked off the week with the Library Journal Day of Dialog where I was on a women's fiction panel moderated by my good friend Stephanie Klose. On the panel were wonderful authors I'd met before, including Lisa Scottoline (yes, she's as hilarious as you've heard) and Chelsea Cain (who manages to look elegant even with a broken knee and crutches, and then has you snorting your Diet Coke with her sharp wit)....and several lovely new ones: Lauren Oliver, Rainbow Rowell, and Pamela Nowak.  Tara Parsons of Mira spoke from the editorial side. Because it was a room full of librarians, it was fast-paced and funny and deep and important all at once.

looking back at Manhattan from Brooklyn


my favorite photo from my trip: right before it rained at the Yankees/Twins game

Chelsea Cain, broken leg up on chair :)
with Lisa Scottoline and Anne Spieth
view from McGraw-Hill Building, LJ DOD




I got to spend time with my agent Barbara and Editor Abby, of course, as well as dear friends Janet and Adam (my AFTERTIME editor) and Holly. Several after-hours libation-fueled brainstorming sessions have resulted in lots of plans, both sinister and salubrious--I always return from BEA with a slew of new projects, some of which eventually are realized.

1 comment:

Janet Reid said...

One of these days I'd like to have you in the same zip code when I don't have to work, or do anything other than just hang out with you. In fact, I'd pay money at the Malice Auction for A Day with Sophie!